Friday, January 26, 2007

Paper (or better), just an excercise

I'm beginning to discuss how I want this paper to look like. 1- First choose a theme; preferably one you feel strongly in favor or against (we want the paper to be fun). 2- Inform yourself of all the arguments for the position you defend and then research the arguments from the position you're arguing against. Remember, the more you know your enemy's point of view, the better your paper will look. 3- Now flesh out the arguments. When you have this ready. You can go ahead and write the exercise. I think that six paragraphs is enough to embroider both points of view. For now, I don't want a conclusion. Instead, I want you to warm up and mix the ingredients. Let's leave the conclusion for the next exercise. Tips: You could use phrases like this: "My thesis is that" or "I believe that" or "With this paper I would like to show that," etc. When you want to mix both arguments you move to "on the the hand," "however, one could say that" or "one could retort that," etc. So, it may look like this: "Although some people argue that abortion is killing a person, I believe that..." Any questions? Post it! The deadline for this exercise is around February 8 or 9 (depending whether the class meets T&R or M,W,&F).

6 comments:

jannelyn87 said...

dr. triff,

you mentioned in a class that you would be giving out a sample paper that you wrote. will you still be doing that?

Shamika Leo said...

You stated that you would like the paper to be 6 paragraphs long without a conclusion. But I found that without a conclusion my paper would be 5 paragraphs long. Is this exceptable

Alfredo Triff said...

No. I'm not doing that because after thinking it over it may confuse you more. Let's do this little by little. For now six paragraphs with no conclusion. Just going over the research and the contrasting points of view. I want you guys to get your feet wet first.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Triff:

I need help on finding a topic that really inspires me. I tried writing about abortion but I don't think it is good enough. The topic doesn't really inspire me. I also researched assisted suicide and same thing happened.
What are some other suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Professor Triff,

Can we email the paper to your inbox?

Thanks

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

DR triff,

I turned in the essay that you requested. I feel that I did not do a great job on representing the argument that i was going against. you said that you would pass out a sample paper that you wrote so that your students would get an idea of what a philosophy paper should look like. can you please pass out the paper so i can see what i did wrong, it will be helpful for the next writing assignment that you assign. thank you. plaese write back.