Thursday, March 9, 2017
PHI 2010 HONOR CLASSES advice for your first drafts!
1. the paragraph form of your paper here.
2. how to properly transition from paragraph to paragraph (the art of transitioning phrases).
3. every factoid you mention in your draft must be cited in-text and in the bibliography.
4. follow this advice, please.
5. refrain from injecting your thesis views in the counter's paragraphs, or using innuendo or disparaging the counters' views. this is prohibited!!
6. do not just drop-a-quote like a brick.
A study show that a "retrieval from long term memory is a vital cognitive skill that can be practiced by children from the age of three." (Popovich, 2014)
instead, properly identify the quote for the reader:
A study published by Tom Popovich, professor of epidemiology at the University of Texas, concludes that "retrieval from long term memory is a vital cognitive skill that can be practiced by children from the age of three." (Popovich, 2014)
7. Rashila Fernando, president of the 2015 Voltaire Society, offers a good triffian advice here.
8. do not Copy & Paste paragraphs. I'll detect it. masticate & digest the ideas, internalize what you read!!!
9. read your draft out loud once! read your draft out loud twice! your draft's words are your mind's distillation.