Saturday, October 3, 2009

The anxious mind


From the NYTimes, an excellent article on the anxious mind. What causes anxiety?

“I don’t know,” Baby 19 says after a long pause, twirling her hair faster, touching her face, her knee. She smiles a little, shrugs. Another pause. And then the list of troubles spills out: “When I don’t quite know what to do and it’s really frustrating and I feel really uncomfortable, especially if other people around me know what they’re doing. I’m always thinking, Should I go here? Should I go there? Am I in someone’s way? ... I worry about things like getting projects done... I think, Will I get it done? How am I going to do it? ... If I’m going to be in a big crowd, it makes me nervous about what I’m going to do and say and what other people are going to do and say.” Baby 19 is wringing her hands now. “How I’m going to deal with the world when I’m grown. Or if I’m going to sort of do anything that really means anything.”

It turns that it has to do with brain states:

Kagan often talks about the three ways to identify an emotion: the physiological brain state, the way an individual describes the feeling and the behavior the feeling leads to. Not every brain state sparks the same subjective experience; one person might describe a hyperaroused brain in a negative way, as feeling anxious or tense, while another might enjoy the sensation and instead uses a positive word like “alert.” Nor does every brain state spark the same behavior: some might repress the bad feelings and act normally; others might withdraw. But while the behavior and the subjective experience associated with an emotion like anxiety might be in a person’s conscious control, physiology usually is not.

One possible conclusion is how we interpret the mental state. How it "feels" to us (in class we called it qualia).

...having all the earmarks of anxiety in the brain does not always translate into a subjective experience of anxiety. “The brain state does not make it a disorder,” Kagan told me. “The brain state exists, and the statement ‘I’m anxious,’ exists, and the correlation is imperfect.” Two people can experience the same level of anxiety, he said, but one who has interesting work to distract her from the jittery feelings might do fine, while another who has just lost his job spends all day at home fretting and might be quicker to reach a point where the thrum becomes overwhelming. It’s all in the context, the interpretation, the ability to divert your attention from the knot in your gut.

5 comments:

Zoraida.Pastor001 said...

Prof,
The more I read, the more I learn, the more questions I seem to have. Thanks for exploding my mind.
Zoraida Pastor

Alfredo Triff said...

You're welcome, Zoraida.

ashley velazquez said...

when i read this i started to think of myself with some aniexty problems i have; because my friends sometimes handle situations differently than i do, and this article has explained it to me. I literally freak out about stuff that i shouldnt & maybe my body reacts differently to different situations than others do.

-ashley velazquez

Alfredo Triff said...

Cool, Ashley.

Angie_Fajardo said...

The mind works in crazy ways, after reading "the anxious mind" I've realized that most the people in my life deals with their problems in harmful ways. It's relaxing to see that I'm not the odd one out. And at the same after reading this I would really like to continue the study. Thanks