Saturday, April 15, 2017

Ethics egoism (pros and cons)


ETHICAL EGOISM: an action is right if it maximizes one's BEST interests.

Ethical egoism is embedded in the ideas of the classical school of economics

There is nothing wrong with pursuing my best interests, as long as in doing so I don't harm anybody.

BEST means self-preservation in society. 

Difference between interest and best interest: not everything I consider my interest is in my BEST INTEREST. 

Ex. having sex with a person I just met vs. being faithful to my girlfriend. 

My best interest is creating behavioral dispositions of fidelity toward my girlfriend. Why? It's good to keep my relationship healthy; better for me mentally (less preoccupation) and physically (danger of STDs). but more importantly for the egoist, being faithful helps me develop behaviors of SELF-GOVERNANCE that I need in my life.

1. BEST also means playing by the rules of society. the most important rule is RECIPROCITY, which translates as BENEVOLENCE (doing good).

2. BEST is equivalent to a long-term investment in the bank of LIFE. The maturity of the investment is not immediate, but it reaches life's horizon. 

SLOW is the path to building respect & reputation. 

So, how does BEST work? 

The egoist maximizes her relationships in the world by being good to others (whenever permitted) to increase her chances of success. The more good she does for others, the more good is owed to her.

This principle can be expressed as: YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW.

In the end, the ethical egoist becomes an altruist of sorts. She is not fooling herself that altruism should erase the expecting good in return. Why not? It reinforces the stereotype of the free rider. 

I don't care how altruistic you appear, you don't want a friend who doesn't reciprocate the good you do for her (if you do, you are a self-destructive masochist).

No comments: